Friday, January 5, 2024

Taking its shape

This week the team made a lot of progress on the roof extensions over the porches - the rain held off enough to get as far as this:




Little by slow, it becomes more and more....rain coming tomorrow so the hope is that they can get the plywood on in the early part of next week so the roofers can get back and finish the metal roof install - we might get lucky and have that done by the end of the week.

This week also saw progress on the wall framing in the interior...fascinating to watch.  Pretty much everything is more complicated and involved than I could have known.  After the studs are all in place, furring tape is applied in however many layers it takes to get the wall precisely level.  Again, I so admire the work the framing crew is doing....they installed plywood where it's called for as well..here's the interior as of today:




Next week plumbing and electric get going on the interior and the install of the A/C split units will be next.  My architect is coming to talk about the carport we need to design to get that permit process going.  The solar panels will be mounted on the carport and being ready in the next month or so needs to start now.

I'm spending a fair chunk of time in the materials decisions territory - I have had things chosen for, oh about a year and a half now (!) and reality meets the moment so reconsiderations abound.  Doors, for example...I need 3 sets of exterior doors, was intending to do french doors.  Turns out those are all about $4-5k each so I'm making room for the possibility of sliding doors instead which are about a quarter of that cost...I'm guessing you get the picture...it's kind of endless in this realm.  I'm doing my best impersonation of adaptability, some days it looks good on me, other times I drift into full blown "what was I thinking?!!!" territory with respect to the whole project. 

One foot in front of the other...that's the only way it works for me, taking the steps in full recognition of the insecurities that lie beneath each decision....

Onward.

2 comments: