So this week is all about getting the structure ready for the metal roof. Lots of little and big things need to happen for that to be the case and, some bureaucratic wrangling just for fun.
Plywood is going on the roof, and since the parts come pre-cut, it moves pretty quickly.
There was a lot going on in the inside, too. Less visible/capturable but it's all related to securing the structure - lots of hardware to install to anchor the panels to each other, the slab, etc. Right now, it's partially covered and kinda wild shift from the trusses being the visual magnet to now, feeling tucked in.
Once all the plywood is on the main structure, they'll begin to get the porch overhangs installed.
In the meantime, in permit land....so all new builds in CA are required to have solar panels. The extent is partly determined by some energy calculations done on the structure but it's just a baseline minimum. I have been imagining doing solar mounted on the carport to provide resiliency (e.g. battery storage of power for outages) that will be constructed later - so I punted the arranging of solar into 2024 mentally. HOWEVER, my approved plans have a little stamp on them that demands otherwise:
Why there is an interdependency between having solar lined up and conducting an inspection on the roof nailing is a tad mystifying - especially since I'm not intending to do roof mounted solar - however I've been told, or it's been suggested, that it's the County's way of prompting action on solar as many people punt that out in the future, sometimes for years. OK, but I need a roof diaphragm inspection THIS WEEK so my metal roofing can get on next week and we are water tight for rainy season!So I hustled and got a solar plan engineered and designed, and the company will file the permit application but the guy who does that was on vacation since thanksgiving and it hasn't been filed - and he comes back from vacation tomorrow. So I'm once again hoping that we will prevail and everything will line up - which would require the grace of acknowledging we have a plan and are moving on it but won't likely have an approved permit this week. Fingers and toes crossed they'll allow the inspection to proceed - for its reasonableness - and we can stay on track but these are among the things out of anyone's real control.
Never a dull moment.
Here's where we ended up today - less likely to do daily posts as we head into a different rhythm of work but will certainly update as progress is made!






No comments:
Post a Comment