Friday, June 28, 2024

Last Gasps of Effort, Modified Migration, Endless Adaptation

Consistency....sometimes to be rewarded, or even seen as an asset.  One thing I can say about this project is that there have definitely been some reliable consistencies. Chief among them, any plans that I may have in my head being modified, eventually.

Such is the case with my notion of the great migration that would take place as the work on the house concluded.    I have a history of moving between places that usually is carried out with organization, order and efficiency.  (Are you laughing yet?!)   This ain't going that way.   I had envisioned and anticipated the painting work would be concluded by the end of this week and my move logistics have been set up with that expectation.   Ha.

The painters let me know they wouldn't be done by then.  I have to be out of my current place by Sunday, June 30, so a bit of wrangling to adapt has been my mode this week.  It's all good, just different than I imagined, true to project.

My old place is cleared out and cleaned, with my things staged in the garages.  On Thursday I was going to transport all the "outdoor" items (planters, etc) and set them up temporarily on the back patio as the painters need the front patio for their work, the spray tent, etc.   I texted my landlords that morning, checking in about my departure status and inquiring whether I would see or interact with them before June 30...a legitimate question since they have not been at the property since Halloween weekend.  Their reply was "we're in London for about a week..let's get coffee when we come up there in a few weeks."

I have been wrangling shifting logistics for what feels like weeks (ok, maybe a year and a half but let's not exaggerate too much!) and the discovery of this reality, that they were not and would not be around over the coming week made me wonder why am I going through all these moving gymnastics when it seems I could just wait until the painters are done...so I asked, could I leave my things in the garages to ease the logistics of the move and they said of course.  That shifted everything....so now, nothing further will be taken over until next Wednesday.   

The pad for the hot tub got set!  Those pavers are perfect....

Today, the hot tub was delivered and my old one was taken down from its perch on the deck and removed.  Even THAT process revealed yet another thing that hadn't been attended to but needed to...code requires a disconnect panel next to the hot tub, that got installed last week by the electrician.  The tub installer, however, was reliant on a whip available (which is basically wiring with flexible conduit) to direct connect the tub.  I texted my electrician, Joe (Denny's Electric) and made the desperate plea for it to be installed before the scheduled delivery and voila!  It was put in at the crack of dawn today.  When I showered Joe with appreciation he said "who's your buddy?!"  😍

The pad is perfect for the tub, and it arrived and was installed with little fanfare, the setup let it be smooth and easy.

Once it was set on site, we went to the old place and removed the hot tub I had there because the installer took it and gave me money for it!!!   That was a bit of a challenge...the tub has been on the deck, 13 feet up in the air, and the only way to get it down was over the railing.  I rented a beam lift, which is essentially a hand crank operated forklift, and the guys got it done.  I don't have a lot of pics of that process because I was jockeying the truck, steadying the beam lift but trust me, it was a feat.

Grateful that went as smoothly as it did!

This morning, we passed the fire and CalGreen/Title 24 final inspections, which should clear the way for the final inspection to happen.  I'm going to PRMD on Monday to make sure the way is paved...their online system shows some things holding it up but it's about them connecting the dots of their own system since everything really is in place and readiness.  It never ends.

Finishing work continued to be prepared for final inspection.   There are code requirements for the landings outside any egress door (who knew?) so I was able to get the pavers installed for the bedroom and bathroom doors and check that box before final inspection also.


(That pipe is a septic cleanout that will get cut down now that the pavers are in....probably do a cute little box over it ultimately)

And my excavator, who everyone refers to as the GOAT in this valley...finished the driveway.  It was one of those things that *could have* waited, but also one of those things to get done right and while the equipment and people are on site.   Pretty cool process.  First they lay down landscape fabric in the 6" cut in the surface.

Then, a mixture of crushed rock and dirt is laid down and groomed into place with slope and surface taken into consideration:



In the meantime, I've decamped (since evacuation really) to my friends Dana and Kalei's place, a sweet space on the river, with loving support, until I can lay my head down at my place.

Next week, the post should be, "I'm IN!"  We shall see.....

2 comments:

  1. As always, you are amazing, and your blog posts fascinating. Best of luck the next five days! Can't wait to read your I'm in post. Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, this process would age me right into a senior living facility! You're the right soul to endure this given your organizational and sincere zen skills. It's gorgeous and you're amazing. Thanks for the sharing and good luck with the final, final push! -Julie R

    ReplyDelete