Holy Moly what a day! It was extraordinarily smooth, swift and surreal. Today was a day where lots of graces combined to create the perfect blending of talent, equipment and skill. I'm gonna let the pictures tell the story- cuz it's pretty self explanatory. The day started out foggy and damp and we had a gloriously sunny afternoon.
Part One: Unloading the delivery truck and transferring the materials for transport to the site. The materials came in a 53' truck and they were transferred to several trailers using Skyjacks, or telescoping forklifts, that have a boom extension that lets them reach 42' and their 4 wheels operate independently so they can handle terrain. Bundles were strapped and the skyjack could pull everything to the opening and then one or two of them worked in tandem to get them safely transferred. (We rented one for the job site for this week for the assembly too.) These guys were so deft and the equipment was so nimble, it was like watching choreography.
That was extra siding to do finish trim on the exterior.
Those were some of the roof trusses.
These are the panels, the exterior walls. 14 of them in bundles of 5, 5, and 4. Each of them is 8'x9' and some have windows installed.
Now more roof trusses.
The very last unload challenge was due to the plywood at the very front of the trailer didn't have a spacer behind it to be able to put straps around it to pull it out. This team, however, equipped with the right tools and resources managed to dislodge it all in no time!
And here they are, loads 1, 2 and 3!
With that task dispensed with in just TWO HOURS, we set out for the job site.
Part Two: Shuttling the material from the road at the base of the driveway up to the job site. The trailers parked on the roadside across the street from the driveway up to the house site. I would not have wanted to be the lift driver - very delicate balancing act and he was feeling the pressure of it - not to break anything! I did not take pics of them being placed around the site because I was down on the road the entire time doing traffic management. But here's what it looked like for 2 more hours.
SO...today was a hugely successful one. The materials are in place and ready. Tomorrow the walls will go up and if we're lucky they can start on the roof trusses. As I said above, rain is coming, and I really hope we can get as close to our goal as possible by Friday.
I remain, as usual, uber grateful for this team. Jeff Torr, the expert in assembly of these homes, is an invaluable asset to this process. Cannot imagine what it could have looked like otherwise - not that the team couldn't have done it but to have the unloading get done in 2 hours, done right the first time, with minimal troubleshooting was just a huge process bonus. Everyone is rolling well together too...
One last note...Jean pointed this out to me, don't know that I would have noticed it for a while if she hadn't. There's a panel on one of the wall segments where all of the people at Deltec who worked on this shell signed their names...I love that.
Tomorrow will bring this to life even more.....stay tuned!





































The best ! A benchmark in your life! Well done. Congratulations , Taya.
ReplyDeleteI am so happy that it went so smoothly! In truth, I thought it was being delivered tomorrow and didn’t realize today was THE DAY! Yay Jeff! Yay you! Yay new house!
ReplyDelete